A father is an important person to his children, family and to the society in general. The word father has the meaning of one who is a source, foundation or beginning. This title carries with it a lot of meaning and honor. It is the only title that God shares with man. How important then should them that carry this title conduct themselves! Fathers can touch their immediate children as well as their numerous generations either with a curse or a blessing. The family of Noah in Genesis 9:18-29 is a good example of a father who blessed and cursed at the same time. While Noah cursed Ham and his generation for having seen his nakedness, he also blessed Shem and Japheth and their generations for their good and kind actions towards him. The curse was as real to Ham as the blessings were real to Shem and Japheth. So fathers can affect their children and their generations by the words they speak and their actions too.
Dad as destiny should therefore shape up and take up his role in the family appropriately. Dad should remember that he has roles and responsibilities to rise up to. Five of these roles are very key. These are:
1. Present- dad should ensure that he is present to impact the lives of his children.
2. Provider- dad should remember that he has a special duty to provide for his family.
3. Protector- dad protects his family from inside and outside attackers, whether spiritual, moral, physical emotional attackers.
4. Priest- dad is the priest of the family. He teaches, prays and morally guides his family.
5. Prophet- dad speaks and affirms members of his family. All this gives one a sense of belonging, security and importance.
Note: It is important though to note that Jesus became a curse so that we may be blessed. This is the good news to them that may be affected by generational curses. There is hope in that Jesus can break them and set us free.
Do you have dad issues? Let’s share our joys and disappointments.
Sunday’s sermon (01/07/1212), recapitulated by Rev Manthi.